Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Cutting Back?


No, those are not my nails, this is similar to what I have (minus the pretty flower things). I have been getting my nails done for years now and I do the same thing each time I go. I did have a guy that I was friendly with do them, but two times I had an appointment after work and he was always 45 minutes late to start me, so I searched elsewhere. A new nail place opened by my house, so I went there to try it out, and I've been going ever since. I also got my mom to start going there, so now we are regulars there. I only took them off about 3 years ago or so (I can't remember) when BlackBerrys started coming out. Of course, my husband HAD to get a BlackBerry, and the deal he got was when he bought one, he got one for free. So I started going to Verizon and playing with them, and had a hard time typing with my nails...so I decided I'd 'take one for the team' and chop them off. I hated doing it. But after a few months and speaking to a girlfriend of mine that got used to it, I put them back on.

So now that we are trying to cut back, I'm thinking of taking them off again. NOW, they are MY nails b/c I've had the acrylic or whatever on for so long. When I go for a fill, all she does is put the gunky stuff on it or whatever, but my real nail is underneath. The other day,I cracked a nail (haven't done that in years) so I pulled the fake stuff off then cut my nail down b/c it was too long for me and too weak. And it just looked weird to have it that long and none of the fancy stuff off. We are trying to save save save, so I'm torn. I like the black nail polish the girls are rocking lately, but every time I put on nail polish (myself or by a pro) the polish always chips after a day. When I do my fills, it can cost 25 or 60 dollars depending on what she does. A normal fill is 25, but when she does the pink and white (usually every other visit) it's 60. I take the money that I have saved up from our misc money (extra money that we don't use that we had in our envelopes each week). And if I pay in cash, every 5th or 6th visit is free. SO, I'm torn and don't know what to do...maybe I should cut them off, and put that money that I would have spent on them into the bank? But I LOVE my nails...so does DH when I rub my nails through his head when he has a headache or a bad day.....

Decisions, decisions!!!!

2 comments:

Kathy said...

I used to have the overlays but quit because it was ruining my nails. Also, too expensive. I would rather do something else with the money but it is a personal choice. If you really enjoy them, that's okay too. It's scary when you add up what you spend on them for a year. LOL

spaghetti0625 said...

It does get quite costly, but I space my appts so far out. I went two months a few months back without going....and they weren't too bad. My DMIL goes every two weeks religously. I don't have the time or money to do that. I think I'm going to keep them. It does make me look professional. It's always the french manicure style, no art or anything, so for now I think I'm going to keep them.