Thursday, December 16, 2010

Reverb 10: I Appreciate My Husband

I've been following many blogs over the past 2 years, and one caught my eye today. Over at One Frugal Girl's blog, she's has been participating in Reverb 10 where you reflect on the past year and manifest what’s next. You sign the contract that you will blog or tweet each day on that day's topic. I've been meaning to get back into the swing of things on my blog, and what better way to do it!

Today's proverb is about what you appreciate the most during the past year. I'm normally a very independent woman, but after 3 and a half years of marriage, I've learned that it's all about give and take. I'm very controlling in our marriage, as I am the boss and it has to be my way or no way. But this year, I've learned that I can't always have my way, which was a hard pill to swallow. DH and I have had quite a number of 'talks' about everything from money, to vacation, to planning for children, etc. He was never the type to sit and talk about serious topics, but lately he has been. His persona was more or less the 'Party Animal' that could care less about anything, unless it had something to do with beer or a club. But he's changed a lot in the 7 years we have been together. Yes, this time of year marks the anniversary that we met, which wasn't in the typical type of way either. 7 years ago, my life changed and looking back, it changed for the best!

Over the past year, I have had my own issues with health, money, work, stress, family, you name it. But DH was always there to ease my stress. I automatically stress about the smallest of things, but he has learned how to calm me down and he has been on point with it this year. He knows when I'm in a 'mood' to just let me be, so he will go into a different room then i'm in. And if I switch rooms, he follows suit. He also knows when I just need a hug and a 'It'll be okay' pep talk. He also knows the best way to cheer me up, with either a trip to Atlantic City or a coupon that he found, or a sale on something that I've been wanting. I'm still getting used to our 'team' as in my past I always so it as me against the world. But now, it's him and I against the world and I have a pretty good teammate if I do say so myself.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

That's great that you are finally get it together. It takes a while. I think it was about ten years when I thought "I'm not going to change him so I might as well quit trying" and things went much smoother. Will be married 40 years this coming July!! However, it's always a work in progress. No one is perfect!! Always remember, the grass is NOT always greener on the other side!

spaghetti0625 said...

Kathy: Ain't that the truth about the grass isn't always greener on the other side! I keep telling my best friend that. He's single and been looking for Miss Right for a LONG time, and he's convinced he'll never find her. He wants what DH and I have. I keep telling him it ain't always greener! he has freedom, can do what he pleases and won't get nagged day in and day out by a controlling wife LOL.