Wednesday, July 8, 2009
Forget Disney, I'm going to the World Series of Poker!
Okay so that's a lie, but it's what I feel! Being a poker player, my goal is to one day play in the World Series of Poker (WSOP). Why? Because that is what every poker player's goal is, to play in poker's biggest event, ever. There are so many people that come out all over world to play in the WSOP out in Vegas. My bankroll doesn't support me putting up a smooth 10k to play in one tournament. Even if I did have a significant poker bankroll, I still can't see myself dropping 10k for one tournament. My plan is to get out to Vegas and try to satellite myself in to the big one. For those not familiar with poker terms, a satellite is a great thing for those that want to play bigger tournaments, but just don't have the cash to put down for it. You play a satellite tournament for significantly less money and try to beat out the field to get a voucher to the bigger tournament. There are satellites online, but with all the laws about/against online gambling, I don't play online anymore, I haven't played online in years.
I have played a few satellites at the Borgata in the past, but when the satellite prices are low (about $100 buy in), I notice the play is at that $100 level. However, for a larger buy in ($300-$500) the play is significantly better and more my speed. I tried to get away from tournament play, but did well recently at the Showboat, so now I want to get back into the swing of things.
In September, Hubby Mike and I are taking a vacation and will try to get into the Borgata Fall Poker Open's main event (10k buyin) by satelliting in. Even if we don't get it, I don't mind being in AC on vacation anyways! We may even be able to get on TV since the final table is televised, and we'll be there! This will be great practice to satellite into the Main Event WSOP in Vegas.
So here's what I need to do/accomplish to make this dream a reality:
1. Get on a plane. For those that know me personally, know our honeymoon story. I feel that right now, if I went to the airport, I can get on a plane and go anywhere. I need a practice flight before the 5 hour flight to Vegas.
2. Practice, practice, practice! This means playing more tournaments (which Hubby Mike won't like). He thinks I'm much better at cash games and should stick to that, but I like tournaments. I guess I'm a pain in the you know what!
3. Try to get off for the time necessary for the Main Event. There are a few different starting dates to accomodate the numbers of players in the field, so they have days 1a-1d I believe. It will be hard for Hubby Mike to get time off in the summer, so if we can't do it next year, perhaps we can wait until the following year.
4. Read some more poker books! They are great for those times I can't play b/c I'm stuck home. I have Doyle's books, but I haven't had the time to get through them yet.
5. Build up my bankroll, which could hurt if I play tournaments and don't cash, and lose money in cash games. I will need to sit back and really manage the bankroll once I start to go gung ho.
Hopefully, one day, I can accomplish my goal!